Northumberland County, founded in 1648, has approximately 509 miles of pristine shoreline along the Chesapeake Bay, Potomac River and all of the tributaries. The towns include-Callao, Lottsburg, Heathsville, Burgess, Reedville, Wicomico Church and part of Kilmarnock. The abundance of waterfront makes it one of Virginia’s top retirement and vacation communities.
While traveling through Northumberland County, you will see beautiful farmland, historic landmarks and homes, great locally owned restaurants, vineyards, marinas, and fantastic local shops.
The town of Heathsville houses the government offices, courthouse and sheriff’s office. There is also a grocery store, medical offices, DMW, banks & beautiful Historic Homes in this town. Heathsville is known for its popular events throughout the year including: Local Farmers Market on weekends, seasonal Oyster Roast & Crab Feast, The popular St. Stephen’s Strawberry Festival, and many historic events that take place at Hughlett’s Tavern.
The Historic town of Reedville is surrounded by prime waterways on the Chesapeake Bay and Great Wicomico River. Great attractions in this town include: Reedville Fishermen’s Museum, locally owned waterfront Restaurants, marinas and even an ice cream shop. Reedville is home to the Chesapeake Bay Menhaden Fleet. Each year there is a fantastic 4th of July parade.
Bodies of Water: Chesapeake Bay, Coan River, Potomac River, Yeocomico River, Lodge Creek, Little Wicomico River, Great Wicomico River, Cockrell’s Creek, Indian Creek.
Learn more on their County Website & Government Officeshere.Boat Ramps:
- Bundick Cottage: Lottsburg VA
- Hampton Inn: Tappahannock
- Holiday Inn Express – Tappahannock
- Kilmarnock Inn
- Ma Margaret’s House
- Reedville Home
- Tides Inn: Irvington
- Northumberland County Northumberland County Volunteer Fire Departments:
- Northumberland County Volunteer Rescue Squads:
- Hughlett Point Natural Area Preserve: https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural-heritage/natural-area-preserves/hughlett
- Virmar Beach: https://dwr.virginia.gov/vbwt/sites/vir-mar-beach/
- Crazy Crab, Reedville (waterfront)
- Cockrell’s Creek Deli, Reedville
- Delma’s Family Café, Lottsburg
- Horn Harbor Restaurant, Burgess: (waterfront)
- Los Portales-Callao
- Newsome’s Restaurant, Burgess
- Reedville Market, Reedville (waterfront)
- Tavern Café-Heathsville
- T & J’s Dairy Barn, Burgess
- Tootie’s Diner-Callao
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.